A reading and book blog by me, Violet!

7/23/13

Fahrenheit 451

Guy Montag is a fireman. His job is to burn the most illegal thing in their world: books. Kerosene is his perfume and burning is his entertainment. But all that changes on day when he meets the odd teenager from next door, Clarisse, who introduces him to a past where books weren't illegal and the world didn't live in fear. Suddenly, Montag's whole perspective on his job, his family, and his entire life has changed, and Montag finds himself wrapped up in a world of problems, regrets, and lies. 




I had to read this book for school, and at first I was not going to write a review because it was not a YA book or popular at this moment. It came out in 1951 and is now known as a classic book often read in schools. I decided to write a review just because if you were like me and had to read this book for school, it would be nice to have a heads up about what you were in store for. 

Fahrenheit 451's plot was clearly amazing and unique. The whole idea of the book is that information and books are illegal because the government believes that they cause conflicts and problems. It was very complicated at points, but in general, I was almost always aware of what was happening in the actual story. Ray Bradbury is an amazing writer, and uses tools like similes, metaphors, and descriptions very well and very often. The only real problem with the story was the occasional weird plot twists and confusing moments. 

I am not going to really talk about the writing, because Ray Bradbury was an amazing and old fashioned writer, and I do not intend on discussing his writing style and abilities. 

I didn't particularly find this book enjoyable. It was more of a book I would recommend to somebody looking for a great literature read. If you are looking for a fun, entertaining read, steer clear of this book. It was definitely educational. 

I give it 3 out of 5 stars, because it was an amazingly clever plot and very well written,  it just wasn't very fun or enjoyable. 

-Violet 



No comments:

Post a Comment