A reading and book blog by me, Violet!

8/2/13

Waterfell by Amalie Howard

Nerissa is not your average teenage girl. She is from the underwater kingdom of Waterfell, where she would be queen, if an evil rival named Ehmora hadn't killed her father and left her stuck in the human world. Along with her friend (and protector) Speio, her BFF Jenna, Jenna's boyfriend Sawyer, and her crush Lo, she must find a way to seem normal but stay herself. But when the time comes, she must battle Ehmora and try to win back her throne--the only problem? Life keeps getting in the way.






I was a big fan of Amalie Howard's other book Bloodspell so when I received an arc of Waterfell, I immediately decided that I would read and review it. I am SO glad I got an arc of it, because it was AMAZING! I loved this story so much, I couldn't take my hands off of it. When I first saw it, I thought it was just going to be another mermaid book, but it totally wasn't. Not only was she not a mermaid, it was a totally different type of what an underwater city would look like. The story was totally unique and creative, and I don't think anyone could say it was copying anything.

I loved the way the story was structured. It had layers of how everything seemed to work, all building up to the final battle (which happened in the last couple of chapters). It started by introducing Nerissa's life on land with all of her friends and hobbies. Then, it began to talk about her life in Waterfell and how she would be queen. The giant chunk of the book was just her relationship with Speio and Lo and how she has conflict with her feelings for both of them. Let me just make on thing clear: there is not a love triangle in this book. There are little touches of the classic love problems that are often called love triangles, but there is not a dead-serious hardcore love triangle. 

The characters were one of my favorite parts of this book. I loved how likable the good guys were, and how much I despised the bad guys. Nerissa and Lo were super developed and deep. They both came as such clear pictures in my head and I knew so much about them.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for good read. It gets 5 out of 5 stars! Enjoy!

-Violet

No comments:

Post a Comment