A reading and book blog by me, Violet!

7/13/13

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Jonas' world is perfect. There is no pain or sadness. There are no decisions so nobody can choose wrong. His life seems to be going on a straight path, until the day when he is chosen to do special work with the Giver. Soon, Jonas discovers what pain really is, and that he has to do whatever it takes to save the one he love--which may mean abandoning somebody else in the process.






I had to read The Giver for English class, and because my older sister didn't like it, I figured I wouldn't. But after reading just a couple chapters, I was really into this book. The Giver is a riveting read full of adventure, love, and sadness. The plot rarely slowed down enough to lose my attention, but it wasn't to crazy and fast. Also, I felt like all the plot twists were predictable enough that I wasn't freaking out with shock, well still leaving enough mystery that I was surprised when it happened. It was a great balance of exciting and predictable.

I like to say, that in general, books either revolve around an amazing plot, or revolve around amazing characters. I feel like that in this book, Lois Lowry did a great job of doing both. She created such a fantastic world that was totally unique and creative. The Community appeared to be like a more organized and civil version of the Districts from The Hunger Games, but that was only a front put up by the Government. Actually, the Community was cruel and power hungry. The structure of the community fascinated me. The characters were fabulous too. I felt actual sympathy and love for the protagonists like Jonas, The Giver, and Gabriel, but felt so angry at some of the other characters. They all seemed so realistic and alive.

I would definitely recommend this book to a friend (though most of mine also had to read it). You probably shouldn't read it if you REALLY hate utopia societies, because this book is like the exact definition of a futuristic perfect society type of book. But if you do like that kind of stuff, you should totally give it a try. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I would have given it 5 out of 5, but at points I definitely felt like there were some unnecessary dramatic touches, and also that the beginning was kind of slow. Thanks for reading!! I am glad to be back and there will be more contests and reviews coming up!! Thanks!!!

-Violet


No comments:

Post a Comment