A reading and book blog by me, Violet!

2/15/14

Looking For Alaska by John Green--Book Review

Mile "Pudge" is sick of his normal life. So he decides to go to a boarding school to try and find what is out there in the world. And as if his new school isn't interesting enough, it just got a whole lot more interesting because down the hall lives Alaska Young. Pretty, smart beautiful, screwed up Alaska Young. And Pudge can not seem to stop thinking about her. Alaska walks into his quiet world and changes it forever--but after her nothing will ever be the same. 










I would like to start by saying that these two gifs can perfectly describe my brain throughout most of the book:










So yeah. Sometimes, the characters in this book were making me cry and be sad, and then other times I did the whole "nobody cares" rainbow thing. LFA definitely gave me pretty conflicting emotions at times.

I read this book because it had really good reviews, and I had just finished The Fault in our Stars (review to come!!!) which is also by John Green. So I started reading and let me tell you, John Green is a very pretty writer. All of his lines are either very clever or very beautiful. I find that funny because he is also a Youtuber so he must be pretty silly along with being really deep. And another thing about this book is that it doesn't really fit well into one category of books. It isn't really a comedy because it's also sad and dramatic, but it also isn't really a drama type book because it's really funny. It's kind of difficult to explain what it is but really it is just sort of genius.

John Green writes very good characters. Pudge was well developed, and changed and grew into a better person through each experience in his life. He was messed up a little bit by everything that happened, but he was normal. He wasn't crazy. He wasn't over the top. He was normal. He did things that normal people do! He freaked out, he moved on, he was sad, etc. He was a really, really good protagonist. Now I wanna talk about Alaska. Oh, Alaska. She was interesting. I feel like John Green may have done a little bit of what I like to call the "Scarlet O'Hara Effect" (Scarlet O'Hara Effect: making a main character, who other people seem to like but we think are really not very nice) on Alaska, because she was just one of those characters who we liked, we just didn't think she was very nice.

Lastly, before I rate LFA, I wanna take one second to bring up Takumi and his fox hat. I just have to say that it was the funniest tiny little few lines of dialogue I have EVER seen in a YA book. It was soooooo funny. If you haven't read the book, when you do you will know what I'm talking about. If you have read the book, you know ;). I just had to say that. Back to the review.

This book rocked. It does have some not quite appropriate elements to it, so I would suggest that parents read it before letting their kid read it, especially if the kid is under the age of 15 or 16. I would recommend it for people who like to cry and to laugh and who love a good book! 5 out of 5 stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment