A reading and book blog by me, Violet!

2/16/14

The Fault in our Stars by John Green-- Book Review

For Hazel, there has never been any "getting better". She is going to die from cancer and there is no question about that. So she gave up. She didn't do anything and didn't make friends. That was until her mother made her go to a cancer support group and she accidentally became associated with Augustus Water, who has been in remission. Now she seems to have a life again, but it can't all be okay because somehow cancer always seems to get in the way. 










I actually already knew the end of this book before I got near it because I was reading on my kindle and it skipped all the way to the end and I literally read one line by mistake that gave away the whole ending. Don't be like me. Control your kindle. It had one of those endings that if you knew it was coming, it made the book less good because you just spent the whole time reading it being upset. Be careful. Don't accidentally read the end. I beg you.

So, back to the book. It was good. It was really good. I don't know why but I'm having a difficult time coming up with things to day about it (so this review may be really short--sorry!!). TFIOS is a really well written book. One thing I always notice about John Green books is that they have the cutest and best quotes. For example, "that's the thing about pain... it demands to be felt" (and yes, I have that memorized, sad I know). He writes in a beautiful way with quotations that just make you feel things. Sometimes sad, sometimes happy, and sometimes like you're going to cry because you just ship it so hard. I liked the writing.

The characters were really good too. I think I am literally in love with Gus. He was pretty cool. Isaac was just funny. Hazel was ehhhhhhh. They were creative characters. The one thing I didn't like about the way he wrote his characters was that Hazel and Gus didn't really sound like teenagers. They just said things that most teenagers don't say. Though, in defense, none of the other characters really talked like them so it is possible that it was just their thing.

OK. I hate to do this, because I loved this book soooo much, but I have one thing that really turned me off about TFIOS. It was very manipulative. We had this whole long story where Hazel was probably going to die but we knew everything was going to be fine because she had Gus and now she could die with closure and all that exciting stuff and we were going to be happy but cry because it was still going to be sad, and then BAM our hopes are ruined. It was so ridiculous like that. I felt like John Green wrote the ending wanting to make poor little 13 year old girls cry. It was annoying, and it was a stupid ending for that.

Nice book. I liked it. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Why was this review so hard to write? I don't know. Sorry, I feel like this was a rambling review. O_o



No comments:

Post a Comment